COST Action CA16109 COLOSSAL
Training School on Black and Brown Carbon
15-17 January 2018, Ljubljana
Jožef Stefan Institute
Jamova 39, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Call for trainees
This Training School aims to provide intensive training in emerging research topics on the refractory part of fine aerosols.
The “Training School on Black and Brown Carbon” will focus on the measurement principles for Black (BC) and Brown Carbon (BrC); Aethalometer instruments employing these principles; maintenance of Aethalometers AE33; quality control checks for data; synergies with complementary measurements; BC source apportionment methods and their validation.
The Training School will last 3 full days (15, 16, 17 January 2018).
A detailed program will be provided later. The foreseen training sessions are:
• Black and Brown Carbon – local, regional and global relevance with examples (G. Močnik)
• On-road measurements of real-world BC emission factors and their use in models (I. Ježek)
• Ambient measurements of urban BC emission factors (A. Gregorič)
• Measuring BC and BrC with Aethalometers, non-linearities and information there-in (L. Drinovec)
• Black Carbon source apportionment (P. Zotter)
• Aethalometer AE33 training and quality control/assurance – basics (L. Drinovec)
• Aethalometer AE33 training and quality control/assurance – hands-on training (F. Bastardi)
• Particle number and size distributions (I. Iskra)
• Nano-particle electromicroscopy (M. Remškar)
• Visit to laboratories at J. Stefan Institute.
• Visit to development, production and test facilities at Aerosol d.o.o., the manufacturer of Aethalometers.
Each participant should prepare a 7-8 min presentation on their work and interests in BC and BrC. Best contributions will be able to extend this to 10-15 min presentations.
A total of 17 grants are offered.
The financial support on offer is a grant and therefore is a fixed financial contribution that may not necessarily cover all of the expenses incurred during the participation in the training school.
It will be determined by the Training School Committee when approving the grant and will range between EUR 600 and EUR 800, based on distance/travel costs estimation.
Lunch and coffee will be provided by the local organizer.
The trainees should arrange their travel and accommodation.
Grant applicants should live in a COST country participating in CA16109 COLOSSAL http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/ca/CA16109?parties.
The evaluation of applications and the selection of participants will be performed by the Training School Committee: Chair (María Cruz Minguillón), Vice-chair (André Prévôt), Scientific organizers (Grisa Mocnik, Anne Kasper-Giebl, Maja Remskar), Gender Balance Coordinator (Luminita Marmureanu), and ECI Coordinator (Axel Eriksson), following the guidelines stated in the COST Vademecum.
The Training School can also be attended by a limited number of participants on their own funds, after approval from the Training School Committee.
- Deadline for applications: 11 December 2017 (end of day)
Interested researchers should:
– Carefully read the funding rules detailed in Section 5 of the COST Vademecum
– Register for an e-COST profile at https://e-services.cost.eu/
– Send the following documents:
- Application form named “Training School _20180115_Ljubljana_Application_LastName”
- CV (max 2 pages) named “Training School _20180115_Ljubljana_CV_LastName”
- Training School Coordinator (Griša Močnik, email@example.com)
- Action Chair (María Cruz Minguillón, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vice-Chair (André Prévôt, email@example.com)
using email subject: Training School 20180115 Application
- Outcomes: 20 December 2017
The grantees will be informed by Grant Holder by email via e-COST.
The Grantee must sign the attendance list every day. Failing to do so will result in a reduction of the grant amount.
- By plane: the only airport is Ljubljana-Brnik.
- By train: the main train station is Ljubljana.
- Shuttle (recommended): about 10 EUR from the airport to the city center or hotel:
- Taxi: approx 25-30 EUR from the airport to the city center, around 30 min (depending on traffic).
For buses you need a card “Urbana”, which you can get at the hotel. You need to “charge” the card – one trip (max 90 min) is 1,20 EUR.
You will use the bus to get to the Institute.
You can find all the info on the public transport in Ljubljana at:
Ljubljana has many hotels. You can google the most suitable for you. We have a suggestion (price and location-wise):
City Hotel Ljubljana
- From train station: walk 10 min.
- From airport: ask to be dropped off at the hotel.
Rooms at this hotel have been pre-arranged, the price is 65 EUR. You can book here.